Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I LOVE LAMP.

Okay people.
I have a confession to make.

I am an addict.

I love lamps.

Everywhere I go I see a lamp that needs a home. Big lamps, little lamps, mid century ones, Victorian ones, more modern ones.. I want them ALL. It has taken me a lot of restraint to not fill my house with hobnail milkglass lamps... you know the ones, with the little glass or metal tray underneath... PERFECT for the bedside table! If only I didn't have those OTHER bedside lamps!
See what I mean?

To honour my lamps, I thought I would show them to you and share their stories. Every lamp has a story to share.

GREG'S LAMP
This lamp didn't impress me much. Greg bought it somewhere he doesn't remember, and it was always just this boring, wood and metal pole lamp. He loved it though. AND THEN HE FOUND THE SHADE. Holy crap did that blow my mind. It was like I could see my future lamp obssession before me and I wanted to embrace it with open arms. When Greg told me how much he paid for the shade I just about dided (it was $40, marked down at an antique store in Peterborough. I was expecting $10, cause that is usually what regular shades cost at the thrift stores) Anyways I learned that it was indeed a great price for a 3 tiered lampshade. So here is the lamp:

just need to mention that i made that awesome pillow!


FLESHY
Fleshy used to live at my friend Meeka's house. One Halloween party, we were gifted this lamp and another (see below) to take home as she was moving in with Ren and didn't have room. At that time it was a "give it a temporary home" sort of deal, or so I thought. I was quite drunk at the time. Anyways Greg and I stumbled down the street, in the rain, dressed as an old grandma and the Dream Police, with our lamps under our arms. I think the cabbie that picked us up thought we were slightly weird. Anyways Meeka was told soon after that she wasn't getting her lamps back (was she confused as to why she even wanted them back? Maybe. I think she really did GIVE them to us!)

fleshy looks so good in the blue room



SPUTNIK
This was the other lamp Meeka gave us. He lost a plastic stick somewhere very uncomfortable (like the back of a Volkswagon?) Anyways he is still pretty sweet. He was rewired at some point, so he should last a good long time.
I should also mention that Greg is very good at rewiring lamps. Therefore there shall never be a lamp that goes to waste in our house!
Lord Ramathorn guards the records with Sputnik to light the way


THE GREAT GLEBE GARAGE SALE LAMP
Every year the neighbourhood know as The Glebe has this effing amazing giant yard sale (imagine... blocks and blocks of amazing deals). I scored this lamp for $10 from a stern older woman. My friend Jen also bought a lamp from her though I forget what it looked like; I was too busy planning where I'd put mine! It needed rewiring, and also a shade. I picked up the shade from Kijiji for $25 which was probably a lot but it suited the lamp so whatever.





THE FAR NORTH LAMP
I went up to see my friends Erin and Trevor in Kirkland Lake 2 summers ago with some other friends. On the way up, not far from New Liskard, there is an antique shop that sells a tonne of old lamps and lamp shades. I bought a really sweet pole lamp for $15. It too needed rewiring and a lampshade (I should have bought a shade from the store but I didn't have room in the car.. boo) and just this past weekend I did get a shade for it!! Good things come to those who wait.
the shade is a nice medium green. Heart.

the base of the lamp really makes me HAPPY.

VALUE VILLAGE SCORE LAMPS
We went to the Value Village in Orleans one Sunday, the day we usually do our trolling for deals, and there was this AWESOME couch and chair set and these two huge awesome lamps. I think someone had finally redone their 60's livingroom. Anyways, we should have bought the couch and chair cause someone else did and sold it on Kijiji for $600. Anyways we went back a few weeks later and the lamps were still there. We had a coupon for 30% off so the lamps, that were $20 each, ended up costing $30 for both. They are now in the bedroom. They will match my awesome curtains I have yet to finish.

i love the texture of the shades.



ELSE'S LAMP
I bought this lamp at a yard sale for $10. It (surprise!) needed rewiring and so the guy was willing to knock the price down from $25 for me. The base on it is really cute, and I love how the paint is worn and the 'candles' are discoloured with age. I JUST got a lampshade for it today from a nice Kijiji lady. I think it suits the room well, but may be a bit small for this particular lamp. I might do some switching around of shades in the future, but for now I really like it!! 
cletus is the laundry guardian.
look at the fake wax drips! also the little scrolls on the arms!



THE ELEPHANT RIDER
This is the third lamp given to us by Meeka and Ren (Thanks guys!!) This one was a housewarming prezzie. They got it from their friend Drew who has some really amazing stuff. He is currently in Else's room, awaiting rewiring and a new bulb. Unfortunately the rider's foot is chipped off but I don't care, I still love them!
i like the leaf finial and the spot in the back to plant your fake plants.


HORSEY
One day we were at the Sally Ann and they were having a silent auction. There was only one other bet on this lamp so Greg bid on it. We won! I like his fiery eyes the best. I think he was a popular model, I've seen a few around but not in as good shape as Horsey.


THE FORGOTTEN ONES
I have these lamps that have been displaced. There is a set that used to be our bedside lamps until we bought the ones above. They had been a set for many years and then were split up, one to Grammy's house and one to her brother Morely's. Anyways we got them back together when we lived in our apartment, and they shall stay together forever more. However I don't know WHERE they will stay together cause we don't have the room for them! I think my sister-in-law wants them now and she is welcome to them.
The other lamp is one that never really had a good home. He has been moved all over the basement, until we redid the laundry room and disconnected the (scarily wired) fluorescent light in there. So now he sits on my government-issue metal desk and provides light for me when I do laundry or need something out of the chest freezer.
laundry room lamp

 
one of the pair, sitting in the middle of the floor, waiting for a home.


LIGHT FIXTURES

I know they're not lamps but they provide light and I like them, so here are my favourite light fixtures in the house.
The first swirly one came from our apartment. We liked it too much to leave it, so we switched an ugly nipple light from the house, with this one. Now it is in our bedroom. The next globe one is in the upstairs hallway. I've always liked these little guys. I also love the scalloped base on it. Beneath that is the yellow shade that used to be in the bedroom, that we now have in the den. Lastly, my wall sconces in the front room. You have to plug them into the socket. The wire scares me; they only get turned on when company's coming!!

5 comments:

  1. Very entertaining Sara! I also love lamps but don't have nearly the collection that you do. I think my favourite one in your collection is fleshy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a real soft spot for Fleshy. I carried him under my arm that fateful day... we really bonded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Man...I totally forgot all about the elephant lamp.

    And no...you are not allowed to give back any of the lamps!

    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. And so you should. Those are divine... Have to agree with above on Fleshy but also love Value Village and Sputnik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Laura! I do love the big green lamps, they are so pretty! I still get burned up about the lost couch and chair set.. or revenue of their resale! Ah well, you can't have everything right?

    ReplyDelete