Monday, March 21, 2011

The Hallway of Tears. Apricot Nicotine Tears.

If there is one colour that I cannot stand it is the colour PEACH. I hate Peach in all of it's incarnations. Light peach, dark peach, orange or red or pink peach.... it's like your walls are covered in flesh. Nasty, outdated flesh!
So, you can imagine how I felt about the hallway in my house. It was painted this really awful colour of peach that sometimes looked like a light pinky peach, then turned into orange disgusting nicotine-stain apricot when the light was turned on or the sun went down. It seriously sucked the life out of the house. It was a black hole where instead of seeing nothing all you saw was the colour of death.
I didn't take any pictures of this colour because frankly, I was afraid it would break my camera. It is, however, in the background of some pictures I have so I'll show those to you:
you can see how it is kind of dark and flesh-y back there

this is the light pinky peach
the colour during daytime was much like the colour you can see on the metal part of the light

this is really how it looked at night, with the light. see how it sucks the light out of the space? 
The Girl and I went away for a 2 week visit in Aylmer, and to do some renovations at my parent's house, so Greg stayed home and painted this hallway's ass off. Because BIN smells so bad, we can't really use it with the baby around, so it was the perfect opportunity!

We have used the Behr colour Antique White in the entrance way in the front, and it is a light coffee brown and is a good neutral colour for a large space such as a hallway with bad lighting. So, Greg took on the giant job of painting the hall. When it goes up the stairs, it is really really high (like, 2 stories high, or 1.5 I guess) so poor Greg had to get his ladder up there to paint in those high corners, but he did it and you know what? It makes this house feel SO MUCH BETTER! It's like the spirit of the house has been lifted. The air seems lighter!

Here are some pics of the finished product:
brown is boring but there's not much choice for such a big, affecting space


   
can't tell with Else is happy about the new colour or that ground beef is on sale
The next little sneak peek that you get is the Picture Wall which is at the top of the stairs. Here it is in it's unfinished glory:


there will be beadboard and a chair rail here, also some pictures. hence the name Picture Wall

mmm I love this wallpaper! it was the stuff I was going to use on the old closet in the den, I'm glad I could find a use for it now! check out the shiny woodgrain detail behind the cute roses!
So that is what we've been up to. Greg also painted the bedroom but it is not ready for its reveal yet. Soon enough! Once we get a carpet and perhaps a bedspread, you will see how cute it is too!

Peace out and try not to cry over peach paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment